Skip to main content

The moment of epiphany

It is the last weekend of 2019! 

The year end always calls for some sort of introspection. And with every other year before, here’s a deep reflection of what I have learned from the last 363.

Take chance (and flight)
In February, I visited Japan with two of my erstwhile colleagues. Admittedly, ambivalence crawled into my thoughts (and spoiled the fun even before it began). In a self-deprecating moment, I was worried that my quirks would dampen the spirit but all that was uncalled for.

In Japan, I experienced a different kind of independence. Yes, I did depend on my friends to circumnavigate foreign land, but it was absolutely liberating to be away from home — responsibilities, commitment, and burden. 

We walked 20,000 steps a day, tried different beers from the convenience store, did not enter a single departmental store, and so much more. The trip was even better than I could ever imagine it be! 

So yes, take chances. Take as many chances as you can! Trust in the Universe to sing attune with you. It won’t always be a bed of roses, but you won’t always be hunkering down for difficult situations. 

You will lose some.
And that’s okay.

Right after my eye-opening virgin visit to Japan, it was back to the grind. Armed with a newfound perspective, I was ready to hustle, except the Universe thought otherwise.

In April, I lost my paternal grandma and maternal grandpa.

The truth is I had spent years exhorting myself to accept death as part and parcel of life. A simple truth but the thought of losing my body warmth permanently really scared me shitless. But I surprised myself when I didn’t struggle to accept my grandparents’ passing.

Maybe it was a moment of epiphany — that the concept of death is acceptable.

But you will win some too.
I spent almost everyday of my first year wanting to leave the job. Having come from a different background, I made invidious comparisons of my current workplace with where I came from — and clearly the former fell short of my expectations. I might have also subconsciously (or not) come up with a litany to justify my feelings.

But at the one-year mark, I received my letter of confirmation. It’s a win! I decided to, once again, put my faith in the Universe. It knows what it’s doing. And true enough, 15 months on, I am still here.

Career aside, my family has also grown slightly.  I now come home to a brother-in-law! We no longer fit in a regular GrabCar, and that’s alright. I have seen how he dotes on my sister and respects my mom, and I think that’s good enough (for now). Who knows what 2020 would bring? 

Most importantly, you will survive.
No challenge or situation is insurmountable.

I struggled to fit into an organisational culture that was disparate from what I knew. But I found a reliable support system that helps me get through everyday — the ones worth celebrating, as well as the shitty ones.

I struggled to keep up with the expectations that I put on myself. But I learned insouciance is also a way of life that’s neither letting myself or others down; it’s a way of maintaining my sanity and caring for myself.

I struggled to fill the many voids people have left behind. But I know now that all of that is temporary. The voids will gradually become a part of me, shape the person I become, and I will be at ease then.

Am I ready for 2020? Definirely! But in the meantime, I shall savour the last 2 days of 2019.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You learn to live with your crazy

I'm crazy, just slightly  crazy. I'm crazy but maybe I'm not crazy after all? I say the most bizarre things. I walk around with messy hair. I dress down on Mondays and dress up on Fridays. I talk shit with and to my friends. I stuff my face into Shelty’s belly every night. I have a weird obsession with stickers and clouds.  I love walking around bare-footed. I love wearing my pyjamas. I love long walks, especially the ones that could last for hours. I love rolling in bed on Saturday nights while every one else is out.  I’m strange like that. Which makes me feel like a misfit in this society that’s all about fitting in. I don’t depend on technology even though I use an iPhone 6: I keep a handwritten diary, I write letters, I record my daily expenditure, I take notes with a pen and paper, I print my readings if possible, I use highlighters and liquid paper, and the list could go on. Yet I depend on technology at the same time: I scroll through Instagram every morn

Baggin TTR

Everyone probably already knows I've been shopping MDS for the longest time and I rarely  switch to other brands because I usually can get whatever I need/want from MDS. Safe to say, though, their recent collections are personally a little disappointing. But I guess it's also a good time to start looking into other retail outlets. In the last couple of weeks, I've frequented FashMob , TCL , TexasRed , YoungHungryFree , Everyday People ,  TTR  and I've to say TTR is by far my favourite. I've gone back so many times with the thought of carting out more items and I am honestly having a hard time resisting the temptation to. I previously only bagged the Flippy Scuba Skirt  (Black Tropicals) because it was the first time shopping with TTR. I take a while to get convinced about the shopping experience but glad to say I fell in love with my first purchase and thereafter did not hesitate to go back for more. I constantly check in to see their latest collecti

See you again

It is okay, baba. We are okay. You can go. These were the exact words I said as I stroked Shelty while he gasped for air. Exactly five gasps later, he was gone. 15 October 2021. Less than 2 weeks before his 16th birthday on 1 November.  I remember that Friday all too well. I had rushed home from an offsite assignment and I immediately noticed him slowing down. For a week before that, he lost mobility in his back limbs but was spirited and had a healthy appetite. He was still begging Baby Yeo for food and she was still sharing waffles with him. But that day was evidently different. I propped him up and tried to stand him, which was when I realised he wasn’t his usual self. His front limbs were weak. It was as if he had lost the will to even try . I was stricken with fear that gripped my heart so tight I was probably going into a panic attack but forced to remain as calm as I could. I contacted the vet and the the hospital but no one could help us. And so I put him back on his bed and tr