Skip to main content

The year of less

2020 has been pretty strange so far.

We are in the midst of battling an unprecedented health crisis that is COVID-19. My whole lifestyle has taken on a different shape and I am learning to deftly navigate this new semi-permanent situation.

I have been working from home since April, and finally set up a dedicated workspace at home (after six months). Truth is, I never foresaw the pandemic would outlast my determination to not have a workspace at home. (Am I the only one who does not appreciate when work is literally an arm’s length away from me?) But it has invaded my safe space and looks like it will be here for several more months, and more! 

The past few months have been tremendously arduous.

I blustered through the last two months to deliver a high-point project on time. (I say “on time” but we were actually already behind time since June.) I did a rough calculation of the extra hours I put in for this project and the number stands at an astounding 112! This comes shortly after the many more hours I put in during the General Election in July. 

There was truly no break. 

Restrictions on social gatherings meant I had little avenue to seek respite from outside the home where work has moved into. 

All my travel plans were disrupted (and I’m uncertain about planning new ones), We have had to cancel Korea and Scotland, which were major bummers. Fortunately, the airlines gave us a full refund but the pandemic also robbed us of a temporary break from the rat race.

Then again, there seemed like there was nothing else to do except work. But months and months of working tirelessly and relentless left me feeling rather disconsolate.

At a very timely moment, my colleague recommended this illustration book entitled ‘Oh, The Places You Will Go!’ 

Although this isn’t about that book, that book did affirm a very difficult decision I had to make — to leave my current role after 29 months, and take on a completely new portfolio come January. 

After I was done with Dr. Seuss, I browsed the NLB app for my next read and decided to take on ‘The Year of Less’. 

Based on the author’s own experience of decluttering her life when she reached a new turning point at 29 years old, the chapters introduced a non-religious ascetic lifestyle. As soon as I finished reading it, I laid down some rules to guide my spending till the end of the year:
  • Essentials like groceries, soaps, shampoo, etc
  • Doggo
  • Gifts for others
  • Anything that requires replacement (because it cannot be fixed)
Those on top of my monthly expenditure on insurance and handphone bill. (These alone cost me close to $900! So I got an insurance agent to help me review my existing policies.)

What I also did was unsubscribe to many of the mailing lists I was on, so I wouldn’t be tempted to shop for clothes I don’t need. I not only not need new clothes, I also don’t need many of my old clothes. So I went in to de litter my wardrobe. All in all, I donated: 
  • 6 dresses
  • 4 tops
  • 4 bottoms
  • 1 romper
  • 3 jackets
I say donated because, fortunately, there is a regular collection drive every month. I also donated stationery and bags. Everything that I have not used in the last 12 months went into the donation box and off to families who would be able to use them.

I started out small, so that I could experiment and see how far I am able to take this. Apart from decluttering my wardrobe, I also decluttered a box of sentimental items I've accumulated over the years. Gifts I received from as far back as when I was 10 or 11 and letters that I received during my school-going years; I decided to throw them out they no longer have a space in my life now. They do, however, have a place in memory.

And so the challenge continues!

I have gone from decluttering to now reorganising the kitchen. The kitchen is strictly my mom's space, and I would not be able to makeover the space as I would love to. But for a start, I am moving things around so that we have dedicated spaces for our pantry and kitchenware. I've spotted a few things that would have to go but I'm taking it slow. Some things that we've kept high up in the cabinets are in an out-of-sight-out-of-mind situation but I know the space can be better utilised, and that's what I am aiming to do.

I am also making small upgrades, if you would call them, around the house. For a start, I am selling my current bedside table to replace it with a chest of four drawers for better functionality. (Also, starting to see that storing my items in bins do not necessarily eradicate the mess. It just hides the mess from public optics.) So I am removing storage bins everywhere else in the house, except in the storeroom where I use them to categorise decorations and knickknacks like extra lightbulbs. 

So yes, the challenge is to tidy the house up steadily at a pace I can manage (both financially and physically).

I know 2020 has been some kind of weird roller-coaster. But it's all good! It's all good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You learn to live with your crazy

I'm crazy, just slightly  crazy. I'm crazy but maybe I'm not crazy after all? I say the most bizarre things. I walk around with messy hair. I dress down on Mondays and dress up on Fridays. I talk shit with and to my friends. I stuff my face into Shelty’s belly every night. I have a weird obsession with stickers and clouds.  I love walking around bare-footed. I love wearing my pyjamas. I love long walks, especially the ones that could last for hours. I love rolling in bed on Saturday nights while every one else is out.  I’m strange like that. Which makes me feel like a misfit in this society that’s all about fitting in. I don’t depend on technology even though I use an iPhone 6: I keep a handwritten diary, I write letters, I record my daily expenditure, I take notes with a pen and paper, I print my readings if possible, I use highlighters and liquid paper, and the list could go on. Yet I depend on technology at the same time: I scroll through Instagram every morn

Baggin TTR

Everyone probably already knows I've been shopping MDS for the longest time and I rarely  switch to other brands because I usually can get whatever I need/want from MDS. Safe to say, though, their recent collections are personally a little disappointing. But I guess it's also a good time to start looking into other retail outlets. In the last couple of weeks, I've frequented FashMob , TCL , TexasRed , YoungHungryFree , Everyday People ,  TTR  and I've to say TTR is by far my favourite. I've gone back so many times with the thought of carting out more items and I am honestly having a hard time resisting the temptation to. I previously only bagged the Flippy Scuba Skirt  (Black Tropicals) because it was the first time shopping with TTR. I take a while to get convinced about the shopping experience but glad to say I fell in love with my first purchase and thereafter did not hesitate to go back for more. I constantly check in to see their latest collecti

See you again

It is okay, baba. We are okay. You can go. These were the exact words I said as I stroked Shelty while he gasped for air. Exactly five gasps later, he was gone. 15 October 2021. Less than 2 weeks before his 16th birthday on 1 November.  I remember that Friday all too well. I had rushed home from an offsite assignment and I immediately noticed him slowing down. For a week before that, he lost mobility in his back limbs but was spirited and had a healthy appetite. He was still begging Baby Yeo for food and she was still sharing waffles with him. But that day was evidently different. I propped him up and tried to stand him, which was when I realised he wasn’t his usual self. His front limbs were weak. It was as if he had lost the will to even try . I was stricken with fear that gripped my heart so tight I was probably going into a panic attack but forced to remain as calm as I could. I contacted the vet and the the hospital but no one could help us. And so I put him back on his bed and tr