Skip to main content

Used to be

Three months done with 2021 and I’m glad to report I’m doing better than I imagined I would.

A couple of weeks ago, I had my performance review for work done in 2020. (I realise I did not do the yearly round-up post so this would be an opportune moment to reflect on the tulmultous 2020.) 

2020 was a year of growth.

Many of my friends and colleagues — present and erstwhile — know this: Between 2018 to 2020, I had tried to quit my job as soon as I joined.

But I am now less desperate to leave.

As soon as I turned down the offer to return to a workplace that I was pretty much attached to, I knew another similar offer would not come around again for a long time. And precisely because I knew exactly what I was getting myself into, I  steeled my motivation and drive to do better where I am.

I have no regrets.

2020 was the year I became more confident at the job — that became part of who I am and eventually spilled over to other aspects of my life. 

When I joined the organisation, I was told to be a “young, thirsty officer”. I did not know what that meant (and I’m not sure I do now). They said if I came across as one, I would have better career prospects. 

In my first year, I was called out for inappropriate dressing and labelled ‘flighty’.

I knew myself to be a completely different person and felt like a tremendously misunderstood character. I had always been a soft-spoken, overly-conscious person. I cared too much about what others said and how I appeared to them. 

As a result of the feedback, I grounded myself in my cube. Even leaving my seat to the washroom was scary. What would people think when they saw me? Would I have to say hi to everyone I saw along the way? 

These thoughts sound laughable now but they were crippling back then.

Maybe I was too much of a quixotic person that my defence mechanism was to victimise myself. I am not the most ambitious person, but I wanted to prove to myself that I was the person I knew myself to be. 

In a span of two years, I forced myself out of my comfort zone and started approaching my teammates for help. I had to build up institutional knowledge and learn the ropes at an accelerated pace. I stumbled at times, failed other times. But I kept going and going and going, because I had to for my own sake.

In 2020, I skipped the facile generalisations and surfaced more substantiated arguments. I became more natural at navigating the issues I was assigned. I was acclimatised to the nature and pace of the work. 

I will not say 2020 was without challenge or struggle. It was far from that. Whatever I struggled with when I first joined, I still struggle to wrap my head around now. But it was a good year and one I bade goodbye to light-heartedly.

2021 has been amazing so far. I started a new portfolio and it definitely feels like I am back at ground zero. I already knew it was going to be a steep learning journey and while I enjoy and value the learning opportunities, I cannot deny that I also feel helpless. Going from being able to confidently navigate unchartered to calling for help every time I am assigned a task makes me feel like deadweight.

I know I am my worst critic. I discredit and sabotage myself, and convince myself I am not where I should be. I always fall short of my own expectations. 

Starting from scratch has always been daunting — even more so now after I started from scratch three times before. Who knew I would be starting from scratching after establishing myself? 

But I will be okay.

I know this from past experiences. I have never emerged from the fires unscathed but I have always emerged alive. This year may be a breeze but a gentle reminder to myself to just breathe

Breathe, Smi. Breathe. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You learn to live with your crazy

I'm crazy, just slightly  crazy. I'm crazy but maybe I'm not crazy after all? I say the most bizarre things. I walk around with messy hair. I dress down on Mondays and dress up on Fridays. I talk shit with and to my friends. I stuff my face into Shelty’s belly every night. I have a weird obsession with stickers and clouds.  I love walking around bare-footed. I love wearing my pyjamas. I love long walks, especially the ones that could last for hours. I love rolling in bed on Saturday nights while every one else is out.  I’m strange like that. Which makes me feel like a misfit in this society that’s all about fitting in. I don’t depend on technology even though I use an iPhone 6: I keep a handwritten diary, I write letters, I record my daily expenditure, I take notes with a pen and paper, I print my readings if possible, I use highlighters and liquid paper, and the list could go on. Yet I depend on technology at the same time: I scroll through Instagram every morn

Baggin TTR

Everyone probably already knows I've been shopping MDS for the longest time and I rarely  switch to other brands because I usually can get whatever I need/want from MDS. Safe to say, though, their recent collections are personally a little disappointing. But I guess it's also a good time to start looking into other retail outlets. In the last couple of weeks, I've frequented FashMob , TCL , TexasRed , YoungHungryFree , Everyday People ,  TTR  and I've to say TTR is by far my favourite. I've gone back so many times with the thought of carting out more items and I am honestly having a hard time resisting the temptation to. I previously only bagged the Flippy Scuba Skirt  (Black Tropicals) because it was the first time shopping with TTR. I take a while to get convinced about the shopping experience but glad to say I fell in love with my first purchase and thereafter did not hesitate to go back for more. I constantly check in to see their latest collecti

See you again

It is okay, baba. We are okay. You can go. These were the exact words I said as I stroked Shelty while he gasped for air. Exactly five gasps later, he was gone. 15 October 2021. Less than 2 weeks before his 16th birthday on 1 November.  I remember that Friday all too well. I had rushed home from an offsite assignment and I immediately noticed him slowing down. For a week before that, he lost mobility in his back limbs but was spirited and had a healthy appetite. He was still begging Baby Yeo for food and she was still sharing waffles with him. But that day was evidently different. I propped him up and tried to stand him, which was when I realised he wasn’t his usual self. His front limbs were weak. It was as if he had lost the will to even try . I was stricken with fear that gripped my heart so tight I was probably going into a panic attack but forced to remain as calm as I could. I contacted the vet and the the hospital but no one could help us. And so I put him back on his bed and tr