Skip to main content

Explorations.

My current read does well with a bag of chips and some soft music, though the latter is more essential really. ☺

(Mitch Albom's The First Phone Call From Heaven)

I walked into Popular Bookstore this afternoon to pick up new highlighters and the first thing I always see when I enter the store are books. Luckily today, I took some time out to explore the section and see what were the latest books this season. By fate, I chanced about Mitch Albom's newest novel, The First  Phone Call From Heaven. It was absolutely necessary for me to own one of the copies and so I conveniently put one in head before heading to the stationery section.

Mitch Albom is one of my favorite authors. In fact, he's probably my favorite author. I still remember the first time I read one of his books, Tuesdays with Morrie, I was 12. It was a book I borrowed from a classmate then and I secretly read it from under the desk because I was simply hooked. Tuesdays with Morrie is a classic and I just couldn't bear to stop even for a moment. I wanted to read right till the end as soon as possible. Every page was precious and with every page, I realized new meanings and extended faith. By the end of the book, I knew Mitch Albom was going to be one author I genuinely and sincerely adore.

Over the years, I never missed out on a single novel Mitch Albom wrote. From The Five People You Meet In Heaven to Have A Little Faith through For One More Day and last year's Time Keeper, I couldn't get enough of his books. So when I saw The First Phone Call From Heaven, I had to have it. And I did.

I simply love the way Mitch Albom writes. For one, it's easy to read and, hence, appreciate. His choice of words may not be extravagant nor impressive but it draws me in almost, if not, instantly. As a child, I found his style of writing beyond attractive. How can anyone be so plainly captivating? I fall in love with his writing over and over again. 

Secondly, Mitch Albom always writes about the small things things in life we often take for granted or go by not noticing enough. One thing he never leaves out of his stories is faith. Having lived 20 years, albeit not that long a time, I figured faith is something too important and we cannot afford to live without it. It is something that gives us the strength and will to find meaning in life. Every time I read a Mitch Albom novel, my faith is restored to new levels and I feel like a brand new person all over again.

And if that's not enough, there is not a single story Mitch Albom has written that I haven't taken a life lesson away from. There is just so much I learn from his stories all the time. I'm more than just thankful and humbled to be able to read the work of such a talented writer. His stories literally shape the way I think and live my life.

I owe my interest in writing to Mitch Albom and he's someone I aspire to be like while carving out my own unique sense of writing. After my virgin experience in writing my own book back when I was 12 (I took part in something called Young Author Scheme), I've always wanted to try writing another book - something more sentimental and mature. Once in a while, I re-read that one book I wrote when I was young and sometimes I cringe at the things I wrote but it was a learning experience. And I'm glad I had that hands-on experience. ☺

But for now, it's the impending finals that will determine my future so writing has become secondary. Wish I could juggle my time more effectively. ☹ 

See y'all around, lovelies! ☺

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murhphy's Law

" Why don't you take a loan? " " Is it worth it? " " I don't know but I know you wanna go. " ---------- Today, the bestf introduced me to one of Murphy's Laws. (I just Googled it and realize he has many laws.) Anyway, the one most relevant to my life right now is the one that states anything that can go wrong, will go wrong  and I guess the bestf had all the reasons to share Murphy's Law with me. The sister and I brought Shelty to see his doctor today. We were half-sure his doctor would suggest surgery so we tried our best to mentally prepare ourselves for the blow. Nothing too unexpected except the cost . Of course, I'd say $2-2.5k for a surgery of that scale is considerably reasonable. After all, Shelty's got dislocated hips (hence the disjoined joints). But, nonetheless, $2-2.5k is something we never imagined. Not before and definitely not now with all the debts we've to pay off. We had a long day. Both the ...

JULY'15 LOOTS OF THE MONTH

There's a fridge magnet on my refrigerator that very aptly describes me when it comes to my shopping. The teeter actually bought it for me when we were in the U.K two years ago and till today, nothing has changed. I have shopped all my life and still have nothing to wear. That's right, that's me. But, to be fair, I actually make it a point to clear my clothes once or twice a year because we do not have enough storage to hold all the clothes my teeter and I have together. Not just clothes, of course. I clear out my bags, shoes and lingerie too. So once again, it is the time of the month to share all the ahem  amazing items I bought. If you're wondering, and if you've been following, I did do a bit of shopping in the U.K. Not much because that wasn't the main objective of our trip but I enjoyed browsing through the racks of clothes at New Look, possibly my favourite brand in the U.K, and Aldo. Shopping in Singapore is still quite the experience for me n...

I remember

It's Sunday night all over again. I can hear slight drizzle against the window panes and I'm watching the lights on the other building go out. People must be heading to bed and I wonder: Do they dread waking up to Monday? Do they hate Monday? Do their bodies feel unusually heavy on Monday mornings? Do they drag their feet into office? It was a surprisingly tough day today. But it reminded me of the conversations I had with Ains. " You're really too nice. That's why people always bully you, " she said. I knew this for a long time but I was thinking of the best way to construe my personality without sounding like a pushover because I'm not. I simply developed a sizable threshold for bullshit over the years. I suppose it is my way of maintaining zen and a passive way to show I'm backing down because I believe there's no reason putting up a fight against anyone who has decided not to give me a real chance even before the argument began. To some, when I...