Skip to main content

I remember

It's Sunday night all over again.

I can hear slight drizzle against the window panes and I'm watching the lights on the other building go out. People must be heading to bed and I wonder: Do they dread waking up to Monday? Do they hate Monday? Do their bodies feel unusually heavy on Monday mornings? Do they drag their feet into office?

It was a surprisingly tough day today. But it reminded me of the conversations I had with Ains.

"You're really too nice. That's why people always bully you," she said.

I knew this for a long time but I was thinking of the best way to construe my personality without sounding like a pushover because I'm not. I simply developed a sizable threshold for bullshit over the years.

I suppose it is my way of maintaining zen and a passive way to show I'm backing down because I believe there's no reason putting up a fight against anyone who has decided not to give me a real chance even before the argument began.

To some, when I keep mum, I'm admitting to the mistakes or blame they put on me. To others, when I keep mum, it means I've lost. To me, however, when I keep mum, I'm really just listening.

No matter how urgent I feel the need to rebut a statement or prove my intentions were misunderstood, I take extra caution in ensuring I'm not swayed by personal feelings.

And it's the same treatment I give to everyone.

According to Ains, this is being too nice since I easily end up at the shorter end of the stick but I don't mind. I don't mind as long as I don't shortchange myself or anyone else.

That has always been my guiding principle: Even if the odds are against me, I shall not compromise myself or anyone in my stead.

In this home, I've grown steadily insecure about myself. Maybe this whole transition to adulthood and the heavily emphasised notion of adulting in this household has made me feel more burdened than liberated. I find it increasingly unbearable to deal with the responsibilities and commitments as an adult living under this roof.

But to the adults, this is merely whining. I'm whimpering about a reality I've no way of changing and I shall soon succumb to this monotonous system. This is what the adults want but this is not what I look forward to.

Still, the circumstances I was brought up in taught me to never question the authorities. For as long as I live here, I am tied to the rules of this household and I will continue to swallow my words because my words will cut more than I would ever imagine.

It never fails to turn into a self-debate: Do I put myself before others or do I be the bigger man and mellow for the ones I love? 

Today, I felt extremely wronged. And extremely compromised.

I couldn't say a word. No, I didn't say a word. The voices in my head were frantically trying to calm me down while the adult screamed over my thoughts.

As I chowed down my dinner, I was on the verge of breaking down. But everyone was there. And it felt if I cried, if I let my tears show, I would have lost a battle I did no wrong in to begin with.

My intentions were misunderstood. My feelings were misunderstood. I was misunderstood by the closest of kin. And that made me realise how small I was.

Everything fell (and stayed) in place for a good period of time and I might have started taking that for granted so I was reminded of my standing today.

I shall not forget, though, that even though I didn't squeak a single word at the dining table, I didn't lose.

Comments

Katherine said…
Love you Smi, you're the strongest person I know. ♥

Popular posts from this blog

Murhphy's Law

" Why don't you take a loan? " " Is it worth it? " " I don't know but I know you wanna go. " ---------- Today, the bestf introduced me to one of Murphy's Laws. (I just Googled it and realize he has many laws.) Anyway, the one most relevant to my life right now is the one that states anything that can go wrong, will go wrong  and I guess the bestf had all the reasons to share Murphy's Law with me. The sister and I brought Shelty to see his doctor today. We were half-sure his doctor would suggest surgery so we tried our best to mentally prepare ourselves for the blow. Nothing too unexpected except the cost . Of course, I'd say $2-2.5k for a surgery of that scale is considerably reasonable. After all, Shelty's got dislocated hips (hence the disjoined joints). But, nonetheless, $2-2.5k is something we never imagined. Not before and definitely not now with all the debts we've to pay off. We had a long day. Both the ...

JULY'15 LOOTS OF THE MONTH

There's a fridge magnet on my refrigerator that very aptly describes me when it comes to my shopping. The teeter actually bought it for me when we were in the U.K two years ago and till today, nothing has changed. I have shopped all my life and still have nothing to wear. That's right, that's me. But, to be fair, I actually make it a point to clear my clothes once or twice a year because we do not have enough storage to hold all the clothes my teeter and I have together. Not just clothes, of course. I clear out my bags, shoes and lingerie too. So once again, it is the time of the month to share all the ahem  amazing items I bought. If you're wondering, and if you've been following, I did do a bit of shopping in the U.K. Not much because that wasn't the main objective of our trip but I enjoyed browsing through the racks of clothes at New Look, possibly my favourite brand in the U.K, and Aldo. Shopping in Singapore is still quite the experience for me n...