Skip to main content

SEE YOU SOON

So, some 2 weeks ago, my (maternal) grandmother suffered a heart attack and was admitted into NUH in the wee hours of  Thursday morning. It appeared to be pretty serious this time round, bringing the idea of mortality so close that my mom decided my aunts should return to Singapore just in case.

Within the next couple of days, my aunts from Cardiff (Wales, United Kingdom) and Ottawa (Canada) were here.

They were at the hospital every single day because my grandmother was supposed to undergo a surgery. But the doctors later decided any form of surgery wasn't going to be helpful so she eventually got discharged (2 days ago) after going through tests after tests to find the best way to manage her heart's condition.

And today is my aunts' last day in Singapore. I'm not too disappointed because we see each other over FaceTime/Tango every weekend and we have made plans to visit. (Last year, I went to Cardiff in case y'all don't remember. This July, I'll be going to Ottawa for a semester exchange. Next July, the family plans to go up to Ottawa. ☺)

Just decided to compile some of the photos we took over the last few days when we had more time to travel out of the hospital to other places. Teeter couldn't join us most of the time because she was working hard in the office till almost 8PM every night.


This is us last Monday (5 May 2014) after our dinner at a Korean BBQ restaurant. ☺


All that I had. I guess Korean BBQ isn't really my thing since I don't eat pork of beef. The range was pretty limited for me because they barely had any chicken and fish. Also, the soup isn't really soup. I figured it tasted more like water. (I don't know if it's meant to be that way.) 

At $26.90/pax, I wasn't satisfied but I tried to eat my fill.

If you're wondering, we were at KBB Korean BBQ Buffet located at ERA Centre, 450 Toa Payoh Lorong 6 #01-11.


But the ladies sure enjoyed their meal. ☺

And then last Wednesday (7 May 2014), Mama met us for dinner after work. We went to Din Tai Fung at Junction 8. ☺


Forgive my mama's face. I don't know how she ended up with her eyes closed!



I'm assuming you all know how awesome Din Tai Fung is already but we didn't have any of their xiao long bao. Our bill still shot up to about $85, which wasn't too expensive considering we had 7 dishes in total. ☺

The food was amazing. They were tasteful yet not too salty and really filling. ☺ We had some fried rice with egg, some kai lan (vegetable) and a bowl of noodles with minced meat and mushrooms for mains. We ordered one appetizer (duck meat wrapped in thin pancakes) because we were waiting for Mama to arrive. And then we ordered soup wanton soup and fried wanton for sides. We had 2 sorts of dim sum - siew mai and ha gou - both of which had shrimp. ☺

There were so many choices to choose from. And they also gave us the freedom to choose the filling, which is perfect for people like me who choose to not eat pork.


After which, teeter managed to meet us for a bit. ☺ This is us at BHG while the ladies were walking around.

The only photo where all 5 of us are in it. Absolutely love this shot of us plus this shows my selfie skills. ☺

And on Friday (9 May 2014), we visited the Buddha Temple at Race Course Road. My first time and it was a pretty good feeling. ☺ The tranquility and ease I felt at the temple was really unexplainable.



Huge space inside with a huge statue of Buddha. There's a also a small space behind this statue where the sleeping Buddha lays. Really quiet space where you can just sit and concentrate and rejuvenate from the surrounding energy. I sure want to go back there again.


This is us after the temple visit. ☺ All sporting happy faces because we enjoyed the experience.

After which, we went to Tekka Market, Little India because Aunty Su needed to go back to David's (a jewelry shop).

But before anything, food first!


After David's, we went for some tea. Turned out horrible but still had to take a selfie.


☺

That pretty much sums out the 3 occasions we went out and had fun.

Now I can't wait to see them again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murhphy's Law

" Why don't you take a loan? " " Is it worth it? " " I don't know but I know you wanna go. " ---------- Today, the bestf introduced me to one of Murphy's Laws. (I just Googled it and realize he has many laws.) Anyway, the one most relevant to my life right now is the one that states anything that can go wrong, will go wrong  and I guess the bestf had all the reasons to share Murphy's Law with me. The sister and I brought Shelty to see his doctor today. We were half-sure his doctor would suggest surgery so we tried our best to mentally prepare ourselves for the blow. Nothing too unexpected except the cost . Of course, I'd say $2-2.5k for a surgery of that scale is considerably reasonable. After all, Shelty's got dislocated hips (hence the disjoined joints). But, nonetheless, $2-2.5k is something we never imagined. Not before and definitely not now with all the debts we've to pay off. We had a long day. Both the ...

JULY'15 LOOTS OF THE MONTH

There's a fridge magnet on my refrigerator that very aptly describes me when it comes to my shopping. The teeter actually bought it for me when we were in the U.K two years ago and till today, nothing has changed. I have shopped all my life and still have nothing to wear. That's right, that's me. But, to be fair, I actually make it a point to clear my clothes once or twice a year because we do not have enough storage to hold all the clothes my teeter and I have together. Not just clothes, of course. I clear out my bags, shoes and lingerie too. So once again, it is the time of the month to share all the ahem  amazing items I bought. If you're wondering, and if you've been following, I did do a bit of shopping in the U.K. Not much because that wasn't the main objective of our trip but I enjoyed browsing through the racks of clothes at New Look, possibly my favourite brand in the U.K, and Aldo. Shopping in Singapore is still quite the experience for me n...

I remember

It's Sunday night all over again. I can hear slight drizzle against the window panes and I'm watching the lights on the other building go out. People must be heading to bed and I wonder: Do they dread waking up to Monday? Do they hate Monday? Do their bodies feel unusually heavy on Monday mornings? Do they drag their feet into office? It was a surprisingly tough day today. But it reminded me of the conversations I had with Ains. " You're really too nice. That's why people always bully you, " she said. I knew this for a long time but I was thinking of the best way to construe my personality without sounding like a pushover because I'm not. I simply developed a sizable threshold for bullshit over the years. I suppose it is my way of maintaining zen and a passive way to show I'm backing down because I believe there's no reason putting up a fight against anyone who has decided not to give me a real chance even before the argument began. To some, when I...