Skip to main content

SHELTY

Finally put my mind to down to dedicating a post to my favourite fur-friend. ☺

Most of you, by now, should already know I've a dog, which I affectionately call Baby or Shelty. He's been such a great source of strength and comfort to me since he stumbled into my life and that's probably the main reason why I'm penning this post - I want to remember him.

Shelty's been with us for… close to 9 years now. We first brought him home when he was merely 7 months old. He hasn't changed very much since then. Judging from his name, Shelty is a Shetland Sheepdog. But, unlike the local ones you see, Shelty's pretty big. He was born and bred in Australia and although we were told he's a pedigree dog (meaning he's pure breed), we suspect he's a cross between a Collie and a Shetland

Shelty, fully grown

It was Vesak Day 2006. I remember because I had just entered Sec 1 and days before, my school arranged this event for us to purchase our tablet PCs. (I'm from Crescent, in case you're wondering.) So we were walking around Balestier area and decided to take a look when we walked past a pet shop.

There were many dogs. And many Sheltands as well. We specifically asked for dogs that can be housed in HDBs and Mama didn't want a small dog so we were really just trying our luck there… until the teeter saw Shelty.

We actually left the shop first before plunging into the decision. I still remember I had no opinion about it because I was barely 13 but we brought him home anyway. Paid close to $3k I believe but no regrets nonetheless.

He was so shy (and scared) at first. Didn't even dare take a step. We had to carry him from the car, up the stairs and finally into the house.  I still remember playing chase with him that day and he ended up hiding underneath the computer desk. (Must be the reason why he's so scared of me… just kidding.)

And the next day, we tried to bring him down for a walk. But he wouldn't walk! The 3 of us ended up taking turns to carry him. I still remember meeting Zan halfway and she helped carry as well. Gosh, I wonder how we managed to finish that round.

In the end, we engaged a trainer to help with some behavioral lessons. On his first lesson, Shelty as usual wouldn't leave the house. But his trainer, oh my, his trainer simply tugged him so hard Shelty took his first steps on foreign ground! Okay, I was impressed but shocked at how… violent (?) the trainer was.

Anyway, ever since, Shelty learnt to walk on his own! He also learnt basic commands like sit, down, stay, paw and speak (even though he speaks a lot more whenever he wants to now). So much fun to tease him with his biscuits now, hehe. ☺

Shelty, however, developed a food allergy over the years (which we later found out is hereditary). He breaks out into a rash whenever he consumes something that doesn't sit well with his condition. He's also allergic to dust so he becomes all red and itchy when the house isn't kept clean.

His doctor, Dr Jean Paul-Ly, has done such a good job teaching us how to look after Shetly. Under his instructions, we did a bio-resonance test and found out all the food he's allergic to. Right now, Shelty's diet consists of pasta, pork balls, broccoli and long beans. For dessert, he gets papaya twice a day but we sometimes give him apple. ☺

He also eats pumpernickel (bread) but that's about all he can't eat. Still, he's such a happy boy after his meals. I can tell because he burps out loud and always has that satisfied look. 

Snuggling on the sofa: Do not disturb

I remember we used to overfeed him when he was much younger. He ended up being 18kg, which is way overweight for his breed. He weighs a healthy 10kg now but you can sometimes see the excess skin when he lies down. Also, we always keep his hair short because our weather is mostly humid/warm throughout the year. He's got a couple of tees we put on for him when it rains and he's completely bald. ☺

What I love, love about Shelty is how he's such a loving family member. Every day, without fail, he'd walk me to the door when I leave the house and greet me when I come home.

Welcome home!

We usually don't open the door on our own, even though we carry our own keys, so when Shelty realizes no one's opening the door, he goes to call our helper. Happens every. single. time. Always makes me feel refreshed and recharged when he comes around. ♡

As much as we love to snuggle, Shelty loves to snuggle with us as well.

He usually sleeps on the bed with the teeter but when she was away for a year, he slept with me. ☺

Snuggleeeeee

Snuggle stage #1

Snuggle stage #2

I'm not kidding when I say he takes up a lot of space. And he sleeps wherever he wants - on your legs, in your face. He monopolizes the space as if you don't exist. ☹ But he sleeps on the floor nowadays since the weather is driving every one mad.

A couple of weeks back when my aunts and grandparents came to live with us, the teeter and I and our helper had to sleep in the hall.


So Shelty decided to come join in the fun! Caught him red-handed trying to take my space and he looks at me as if he hasn't done anything wrong. 

On other days, I lay a mattress in the hall and have the fan blowing at me while I type away on my laptop. And Shelty finds it amusing so he decides he's gonna displace me.


Where he's snoozing away at is where I was sitting just minutes before I went to use the washroom. As usual, not guilty. It's not like he's even watching drama with me!


So I exacted my revenge: In his half-asleep state, I terrorized him by forcing him to take selfies with me. ☺ (Trust me, he wasn't hurt in the process.)

Shelty's also the best listener ever. Some days I get so frustrated I actually rant to him.


And he just looks at me as I shoot off. ☺

I have friends I can rant to but y'know sometimes all you want is someone to listen and not contribute their unnecessary comments/opinions. (That's basically how I feel all the time unless I need advice, I go to the bestf.) Shelty makes the best companion in difficult/stressful times. Him being there just comforts me because I know he cares.

Of course, he will try to test our limits by peeing everywhere and pooping on the rug and asking for biscuits at 11PM at night but I love this fur-ball. ☺ He has taught me so much about selfless love and has encouraged me so much.

When I used to stay up and study (through the night), he'd sit within reach from me as if protecting me. When it rains, he falls asleep at my feet as if its the safest spot from all the thundering. When he hears something that piques his interest, he barks at me and brings me to the window, telling me he wants to be carried. How can I not love this four-legged fur-ball filled with nothing but love? ♡

Ending off the post with a photo:

Thank you, Shelty, for teaching me to love myself the way you love me.
I love you the same if not more. ♡

Good evening ahead every one! ☺

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murhphy's Law

" Why don't you take a loan? " " Is it worth it? " " I don't know but I know you wanna go. " ---------- Today, the bestf introduced me to one of Murphy's Laws. (I just Googled it and realize he has many laws.) Anyway, the one most relevant to my life right now is the one that states anything that can go wrong, will go wrong  and I guess the bestf had all the reasons to share Murphy's Law with me. The sister and I brought Shelty to see his doctor today. We were half-sure his doctor would suggest surgery so we tried our best to mentally prepare ourselves for the blow. Nothing too unexpected except the cost . Of course, I'd say $2-2.5k for a surgery of that scale is considerably reasonable. After all, Shelty's got dislocated hips (hence the disjoined joints). But, nonetheless, $2-2.5k is something we never imagined. Not before and definitely not now with all the debts we've to pay off. We had a long day. Both the ...

JULY'15 LOOTS OF THE MONTH

There's a fridge magnet on my refrigerator that very aptly describes me when it comes to my shopping. The teeter actually bought it for me when we were in the U.K two years ago and till today, nothing has changed. I have shopped all my life and still have nothing to wear. That's right, that's me. But, to be fair, I actually make it a point to clear my clothes once or twice a year because we do not have enough storage to hold all the clothes my teeter and I have together. Not just clothes, of course. I clear out my bags, shoes and lingerie too. So once again, it is the time of the month to share all the ahem  amazing items I bought. If you're wondering, and if you've been following, I did do a bit of shopping in the U.K. Not much because that wasn't the main objective of our trip but I enjoyed browsing through the racks of clothes at New Look, possibly my favourite brand in the U.K, and Aldo. Shopping in Singapore is still quite the experience for me n...

I remember

It's Sunday night all over again. I can hear slight drizzle against the window panes and I'm watching the lights on the other building go out. People must be heading to bed and I wonder: Do they dread waking up to Monday? Do they hate Monday? Do their bodies feel unusually heavy on Monday mornings? Do they drag their feet into office? It was a surprisingly tough day today. But it reminded me of the conversations I had with Ains. " You're really too nice. That's why people always bully you, " she said. I knew this for a long time but I was thinking of the best way to construe my personality without sounding like a pushover because I'm not. I simply developed a sizable threshold for bullshit over the years. I suppose it is my way of maintaining zen and a passive way to show I'm backing down because I believe there's no reason putting up a fight against anyone who has decided not to give me a real chance even before the argument began. To some, when I...