I can't believe I've yet to finish compiling the photos from my 21st birthday so I guess that explains why I've a part III right now. Bear with me, I'd love to complete it as soon as I can!
Every time I recollect that day, it seems so magical and unreal (although it seems even more unreal that I'm actually 21 right now). Nonetheless, below are more photos and messages to share of the people who came to congratulate me. ☺
Not forgetting the people from my alma mater!
Every time I recollect that day, it seems so magical and unreal (although it seems even more unreal that I'm actually 21 right now). Nonetheless, below are more photos and messages to share of the people who came to congratulate me. ☺
My maternal grandparents. ☺
I remember when Papa passed away, my grandmother came to live with us for a while. (Thinking back, I somehow don't remember my grandfather living with us then.) She was a strict woman, for sure. I tried to cheat once as she tested me on mental sums and she found on. She said: Don't think I don't know you're cheating. Of course, the 7-year-old me was scared to death and back.
Many years have passed since and now that she's much older, a lot of health issues have cropped up. It's sometimes very heart-wrenching to watch her go in and out of the hospital but I pray she'll live a long life. I know I sometimes get frustrated and annoyed because she's difficult to deal with (an attitude problem maybe?) but I hope she'll recover.
(Have a special mention for my grandfather towards the end of the post!)
Next up! My girlfriends from JC.
Girlfriends // Fishie & Janel
I've known Fishie since I was in S1 and we were close back then but I'm quite happy we managed to remain friends through the years. Also, introducing Janel whom I first got to know in JC1. ☺ May our half-yearly/annual meet-ups go on for a long time!
Not forgetting the people from my alma mater!
Crescentians // From L-R: Nisa, Zan, Aishah, Yingli, Shimin
I am truly grateful to Crescent for bringing all these people in my life. Even though we don't meet every day, I'm ever thankful they showed up. ☺
Also, the teeter's friends:
Peiyi, Muhm, Beng Hock
I suddenly recall they were talking about how they first got to know each other more than 10 years ago and they all remember how small I used to be. Oh my, time flies really. Never expected my sister's friends to become my friends as well but thank you guys for coming down specially and surprising my sister. ☺ I hope you guys grow old together because really, (old) friendship is gold.
Special mention:
Please always be well, Apupa
Apupa is what I call my grandfather in my mom's dialect (Malayali) and it's really an affectionate term. Some of you may already know but my grandfather is demented and he forgets very quickly (in minutes, sometimes seconds). It's very painful to watch him deteriorate and he will eventually forget who I am. That's not the scariest part - he will forget every one and every thing that once made sense to him won't make sense anymore.
In the last couple of weeks he stayed with me, I've seen how frustrated he gets with himself because he simply cannot remember. And he knows it. He tells me how his brain is not working anymore because he's old and sometimes he hits his own head because he cannot stand it. It's sad, really.
I'm trying to spend more time with him because I'm afraid he doesn't have much time left. I'm not prepared to lose him so I pray every day that God will let him live comfortably for the rest of his life. The last 2 years or so has sent the old man through hell and back because of family politics and old grudges dug out from 20 years ago. But at his age, when he's almost at the end of his time, he deserves to be happy.
As Ahma took her leave that night, my 21st was completed when she pulled me in to kiss me on my cheek.
Introducing my paternal grandmother. ☺
Unlike my other cousins, I didn't grow up with my grandmother breathing down my neck or showering me with lots of pancakes and congee neither was I chased after with a cane but at the end of the day, she is my grandmother.
I know Mama used to say how Ahma favors the other cousins over us because well we didn't live with them and I guess people back then showed favoritism more obviously. I mean, I can't blame her either since we live apart.
She's become so much quieter now with age and dementia catching up. She doesn't remember my name but I can tell how happy she is when we come around. ☺
Thank you, Ahma, for being there with me.
----------
Phew! Kudos to me for I am now done with all my birthday posts. ☺
Shall end off with a selfie:
teeter.
Or not. ☺
Goodnight everyone!






Comments