Skip to main content

NEW COLORS

In the last 21 years (and counting), I've dyed my hair once and only once because my mom insists that hair dye is actually damaging to the hair although I beg to differ but being the Mama's girl I always am, I listened to her. Of course, that's not the only reason.

My hair was way longer when I first dyed it and since the hair dye my hairdresser uses is ammonia-free, it's is too damn expensive. Also, since my mom is pretty conservative, she objects flashy colours or anything as light as, say, amber.

Ever since my first dye, the colour faded to a rusty brown, which is nice but since I've cut most of my coloured ends away, it didn't really seem all that fancy anymore.

So! I decided to self-dye my hair! I mean, why not? It's more economical and practical and since I'm capable + had lots of free time on hand today, I did it. ;-)

This is my hair before I started anything:


I naturally have jet black hair and it's not easy for light colours to get absorbed. You can tell the ends of my hair is definitely lighter than the rest of my head because it's the last of what remains of my dyed hair.

What I use to dye my hair is the L'oréal Casting Crème Gloss:


I don't think this brand of hair dye is available in Singapore yet because Mama tried to get hers a couple of days back from NTUC but they don't carry this brand. We bought ours from Cardiff when we were shopping around ASDA, which is the UK-version of NTUC. It was not even £10!

Anyway, what I did was I followed this self-dye tutorial posted on YouTube by one of my Secondary School friends and the results she obtained was really pretty! Explains why I decided to give it a go + I had lots of free time on hand today. ;-)

Link to the tutorial is here.

Anyway, I was pretty disciplined and applied the colour + washed my hair 4 times in an effort to create the colour gradient effect. Talk about religious, yo.

And so the end result is as shown.

NB: May not be what you expect.


Notice how my ends are lighter than the rest of my head? Of course, I didn't touch my roots so you'd expect the top of my head to still be black and the colour gets lighter towards the end. That's the gradient effect. ;-) Well, this is day 1. I'm expecting the colour to show a bit more as the days go by!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murhphy's Law

" Why don't you take a loan? " " Is it worth it? " " I don't know but I know you wanna go. " ---------- Today, the bestf introduced me to one of Murphy's Laws. (I just Googled it and realize he has many laws.) Anyway, the one most relevant to my life right now is the one that states anything that can go wrong, will go wrong  and I guess the bestf had all the reasons to share Murphy's Law with me. The sister and I brought Shelty to see his doctor today. We were half-sure his doctor would suggest surgery so we tried our best to mentally prepare ourselves for the blow. Nothing too unexpected except the cost . Of course, I'd say $2-2.5k for a surgery of that scale is considerably reasonable. After all, Shelty's got dislocated hips (hence the disjoined joints). But, nonetheless, $2-2.5k is something we never imagined. Not before and definitely not now with all the debts we've to pay off. We had a long day. Both the ...

JULY'15 LOOTS OF THE MONTH

There's a fridge magnet on my refrigerator that very aptly describes me when it comes to my shopping. The teeter actually bought it for me when we were in the U.K two years ago and till today, nothing has changed. I have shopped all my life and still have nothing to wear. That's right, that's me. But, to be fair, I actually make it a point to clear my clothes once or twice a year because we do not have enough storage to hold all the clothes my teeter and I have together. Not just clothes, of course. I clear out my bags, shoes and lingerie too. So once again, it is the time of the month to share all the ahem  amazing items I bought. If you're wondering, and if you've been following, I did do a bit of shopping in the U.K. Not much because that wasn't the main objective of our trip but I enjoyed browsing through the racks of clothes at New Look, possibly my favourite brand in the U.K, and Aldo. Shopping in Singapore is still quite the experience for me n...

I remember

It's Sunday night all over again. I can hear slight drizzle against the window panes and I'm watching the lights on the other building go out. People must be heading to bed and I wonder: Do they dread waking up to Monday? Do they hate Monday? Do their bodies feel unusually heavy on Monday mornings? Do they drag their feet into office? It was a surprisingly tough day today. But it reminded me of the conversations I had with Ains. " You're really too nice. That's why people always bully you, " she said. I knew this for a long time but I was thinking of the best way to construe my personality without sounding like a pushover because I'm not. I simply developed a sizable threshold for bullshit over the years. I suppose it is my way of maintaining zen and a passive way to show I'm backing down because I believe there's no reason putting up a fight against anyone who has decided not to give me a real chance even before the argument began. To some, when I...