Skip to main content

VAMPIRE PROSECUTOR

Attempting to give my review on a Korean drama series I recently completed. ☺

So, as the title suggests, I finished both seasons of Vampire Prosecutor some time 2 weeks ago. I even stayed up till 5AM one night/morning to complete the second seasons even though I had to work at 2PM the same day. (Goes to show how good the show is, maybe?)

Anyway! Before I go all-in about why I feel you should watch the drama, here's a short synopsis based on my understanding:



Actor Yoon Jung Hoon plays the vampire-cum-prosecutor Min Tae Yeon who uses his vampire abilities to solve cases. Alongside is his team consisting rookie prosecutor Yoo Jung In (actress Lee Ah Young), veteran detective Hwang Soo Bum (actor Lee Won Jong) and intern Choi Dong Man (actor Kim Joo Young).

In season 2, actor Lee Kyoung Young joins the team as the forensic doctor.

----------

I wasn't initially keen on Vampire Prosecutor. I remember going through the list of completed dramas available on Gooddrama and I chanced about this under the Popular section. Naturally, I clicked and read all the reviews/comments before deciding to embark on the 11-episode series. The number of episodes was also quite an appeal to me because I prefer short ones (anything between 10-16 episodes is acceptable).

Judging from all the wonderful feedbacks, I clicked in and with no expectations, I was sucked into a world of secrecy and suspense. Of course, what else would you expect from the supernatural sort? But, the camaraderie  you'll see between the members of the team gives the show an unexpected light feel that makes it easier to watch when all you thought you're gonna see is gore and ridiculously bloody murders.

There is, however, almost no vampire-biting in season 1, which is good because it challenges the stereotype that vampires have to kill others and drink all their blood for them to survive. A good turn there but that's not the only aspect I love.

You would expect vampires to work alone or with their own kind but I was pleasantly surprised to find that my beloved vampire prosecutor Min Tae Yeon would share his secret with his partner, detective Hwang Soo Bum! I absolutely love the way Detective Hwang encourages Prosecutor Min Tae Yeon to use his vampire abilities whenever they've cases to solve. (Such an unusual friendship, no?) ☺


Basically, he tastes the blood of the victim and his powers enable him to see what the victim last saw seconds before he/she passed out/died. And every time he does it, he turns all blue-eyed and vampire-teeth-grown:


Don't be fooled, under those shades are pretty blue eyes!

Also, in a drama focused on solving crimes, I like how they always hint at a bigger, darker secret. Throughout the seasons, Min Tae Yeon is on a search to find who turned him into a vampire and his undying wish to find his sister. At the same time, we find that he's not the only vampire around! Don't want to spoil it for you but I was taken aback (literally) to find that there was a vampire so close to him! 
Okay, spoiler alert: the vampire close to him is the same vampire who turned his sister and has been looking after her since! 

So many plot twists in one season! Makes me cling onto my seat wanting more.

Also, something I love about dramas like this is the possible love-line!


All my feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels, oh my. It gets even more exciting in season 2 because their relationship develops (although not there yet) but it's so cute to see how Yoo Jung In, with her suspicions on how Min Tae Yeon manages to solve the cases, still falls for him! I totally ship this pairing. ☺

There is a lot of action in this series. Almost every episode (or maybe every episode), you'll find Min Tae Yeon kicking ass or the whole team kicking ass together, which is nice to see just because. I like seeing how to good triumph them evil beings. ☺

I personally liked season 2 better. Of course, they upgraded the gore and every case was really well-scripted but what I liked better is how they wrap the case up at the end. In season 1, every case was normally wrapped up - the criminal found, confessed and sentenced. Nothing extraordinary. But in season 2, you'll find that not every criminal is successfully sentenced, which is nice to see because we now know that it is not possible to convict every suspect due to the other outside forces.

I found myself sucked into the whole drama because every episode left me with questions. It was really nice to see the story develop swiftly yet fit so nicely into 11 episodes (each season)!

There are even more plot twists in season 2, with more revelation of existing vampires and new vampires coming into being.

Halfway through season 2, actor Kwon Hyung Sang joins the cast as a long-time vampire, L.


Such a handsome face pulling off great acting as an evil vampire is just the perfect combination for me. You've to see it to believe it but I think he acted out his character the best - the vengeance-seeking vampire with a really sad past. So yes, he goes around killing the people (in a way that makes me feel sick in my throat) who turned and captivated him in his vampire state only to encounter Min Tae Yeon and he takes a particular interest in our vampire prosecutor. The sad part, though, is (spoiler alert) he dies at the end of season 2.

Well, that's the end of my review! To sum it up, you guys have to watch it. It's incredible the way everything unfolds and how each question connects us to the next and how the answers are revealed in such unsuspecting ways. 

I promise you no regret but watch only if you can tank the unknown. Season 2's ending was such a bummer and it's been a year yet there's no news of season 3 yet so… well, watch season 1 at least. The ending is bearable there. ☺

With that, I end my post with:

The perfect team. ☺


(Photos taken off Google. Credits to their respective owners!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murhphy's Law

" Why don't you take a loan? " " Is it worth it? " " I don't know but I know you wanna go. " ---------- Today, the bestf introduced me to one of Murphy's Laws. (I just Googled it and realize he has many laws.) Anyway, the one most relevant to my life right now is the one that states anything that can go wrong, will go wrong  and I guess the bestf had all the reasons to share Murphy's Law with me. The sister and I brought Shelty to see his doctor today. We were half-sure his doctor would suggest surgery so we tried our best to mentally prepare ourselves for the blow. Nothing too unexpected except the cost . Of course, I'd say $2-2.5k for a surgery of that scale is considerably reasonable. After all, Shelty's got dislocated hips (hence the disjoined joints). But, nonetheless, $2-2.5k is something we never imagined. Not before and definitely not now with all the debts we've to pay off. We had a long day. Both the ...

JULY'15 LOOTS OF THE MONTH

There's a fridge magnet on my refrigerator that very aptly describes me when it comes to my shopping. The teeter actually bought it for me when we were in the U.K two years ago and till today, nothing has changed. I have shopped all my life and still have nothing to wear. That's right, that's me. But, to be fair, I actually make it a point to clear my clothes once or twice a year because we do not have enough storage to hold all the clothes my teeter and I have together. Not just clothes, of course. I clear out my bags, shoes and lingerie too. So once again, it is the time of the month to share all the ahem  amazing items I bought. If you're wondering, and if you've been following, I did do a bit of shopping in the U.K. Not much because that wasn't the main objective of our trip but I enjoyed browsing through the racks of clothes at New Look, possibly my favourite brand in the U.K, and Aldo. Shopping in Singapore is still quite the experience for me n...

I remember

It's Sunday night all over again. I can hear slight drizzle against the window panes and I'm watching the lights on the other building go out. People must be heading to bed and I wonder: Do they dread waking up to Monday? Do they hate Monday? Do their bodies feel unusually heavy on Monday mornings? Do they drag their feet into office? It was a surprisingly tough day today. But it reminded me of the conversations I had with Ains. " You're really too nice. That's why people always bully you, " she said. I knew this for a long time but I was thinking of the best way to construe my personality without sounding like a pushover because I'm not. I simply developed a sizable threshold for bullshit over the years. I suppose it is my way of maintaining zen and a passive way to show I'm backing down because I believe there's no reason putting up a fight against anyone who has decided not to give me a real chance even before the argument began. To some, when I...