Skip to main content

FOR THE BETTER YOU

I noticed this in the last couple of days and that is how I religiously go through the same routine after showering, when it comes to self-maintaining. I never quite realized this because it's been ingrained in my lifestyle but on some days, I actually do feel lazy and I do want to skip a couple of steps though I eventually convince myself not to.

Just a heads-up: I've normal skin so the products I use are usually quite mild and subtle. You don't necessarily have to consult a dermatologist to know your skin type unless you're looking for precise treatment for skin-related problems (or if you've the money to spare). Being the broke undergrad I am, I always look for more economical options.

#1. Face

I decided to include the face wash I use and that is the Rice Water Bright series by THEFACESHOP - a trustworthy and affordable brand devised by the Koreans.

Rice Bran Cleansing Foam | Cleansing Foam
Cost: $19.90 each

I was first introduced to this series when I was 17 and immediately fell in love with it! Even though it says foam, you don't actually get any real foam.

The one on the left (Rice Bran Cleansing Foam) contains rice bean scrubs that helps to effectively remove dead skin and promote blood circulation. It's what I use at night after I've been out the whole day and my skin exposed to the dirt particles in the air. This not only thoroughly cleanses my skin but also gives it shine. Always feel so refreshed after using this. ;-)

The one on the right (Cleansing Foam) is a mild face wash for my morning use. Some mornings I wake up and realize how dull my skin is compared to the night before (I wonder why) but this returns the sparkle to my skin. It is really gentle so I sometimes opt to use it twice when I don't need the scrub.

I should also just say I will be changing my face wash to this:

Honey Black Tea Bubble Foam by Skin Food
Cost: $27.90

Definitely more expensive and you do get real foam here but I love the smell and how smooth my skin gets after a wash. I can't wait to start using this!

For toner, I was using the Mild Toner but THEFACESHOP but have switched to the Gold Kiwi Clearing Toner by Skin Food. This is part of their Gold Kiwi line of products, which includes a whole range of other products that I don't require.

Gold Kiwi Clearing Toner

Can't remember the cost but it's probably in the $30s. Anyway, what I love about this is the whitening effect due to the gold kiwi contains. I honestly think that's the major plus point about this toner but if nothing else, this toner is really subtle. It's supposed to repair your sun-damaged skin from "deep-under." Well, we shall see.

Moving on! Right after my toner, I apply a layer of lotion to hydrate + moisturise my skin. In this crazy weather, this is one step I cannot miss.

Mild Lotion by THEFACESHOP | Tea Tree Oil by The Body Shop
Cost: $19.90 | $9.90

I bought the Mild Lotion along with the Mild Toner but since the toner has finished and I don't want to waste the lotion, I'm going to use it till the end and then switch to something from the Gold Kiwi line. But the good thing about this lotion is it contains tea tree oil, which works magic on stubborn pimples. ;-) The cream itself gets absorbed very quickly into my skin. What you see next to it is my best pimple-buster - the Tea Tree Oil by The Body Shop. It's $9.90 for 10ml and though it sounds pricey, this is amazing.

You probably already know just how awesome tea tree oil is in combating pimples so I shan't go there. Just know that I love, love this small fellow. I don't get pimples often but I do get zits on my chin and this works just as well on them.

#2. Body


Vaseline health white night repair | The Righteous Butter by The Body Shop |
SHILLS Miracle-Lift (Gen 4)

I'm not sure about the costs because the sister bought the Vaseline one and I received the body cream for Christmas but the Miracle-Lift was $49.90 when I bought it (via @blogshop_queenie). I believe this generation of firming cream has been discontinued.

I start with the firming cream to my thighs + butt. Because it gives off a burning sensation, I wash my hands immediately after applying so that I can focus on other areas better. Let's just say I bought this in hope I'll achieve smaller thighs but I didn't apply it regularly when I first begun. Even now, I only use it once a day when I'm supposed to use it twice. Anyway, don't think I'll be returning to this series once I'm done.

It does give off a burning sensation for sure and I think that's a clear indication that the cream is in the process of breaking down stubborn fats and whatnot but I don't know, I'm not so sure about this product. I will probably scout around for something else in time to come.

The Righteous Butter is also something I won't return to once I'm done. I mean, the cream works fine. It hydrates but definitely takes a long time to get absorbed. What I don't quite like is also how thick this is unlike the other creams I've used. This usually goes everywhere else from my hands to my legs and my back and shoulders.

I finish off with Vaseline's healthy white night repair to my feet. Years of wearing covered shoes + sitting on the parade square grounds have made my ankles and toes darker than the rest of my feet. I've also got really dry skin especially on my heels. Vaseline is a household brand and, of course, I go to bed at ease knowing I've got a trusty agent working miracles to my feet.

I also use a deodorant and that is Rexona's whitening.


Can't quite remember the price either but this is possibly less than $10. I chose this because who wouldn't want nice, clean armpits? I've always had insecurities about my underarm and so far this proves to be working gradually but surely.

#3. Hair

This is, well, the last step! #yay

With towel-dried hair, I apply my hair tonic first. This, my mom insists, is the most important because you would want a full head of healthy, voluminous hair. We were using Simply Zen but recently changed to Shiseido when the teeter was doing her hair at Shunji Matsuo (on my recommendation by the way).

What the lady suggested was The Hair Care Adenovital Scalp Tonic. Expect to pay above the $50s for hair tonic but even though they're pricey, they're wonderful creations. :-)


Love the sleek packaging on this one. ;-) I believe this was about $70 when Mama bought it but I'm not sure 'cause I didn't pay, hehe.

Anyway, hair tonics are really important in ensuring your hair grows healthily and also to prevent hair fall. I feel that Shiseido's scalp tonic is stronger than Simply Zen's because I can see the difference. (It's amazing.)

Lastly! I end off with the water matrix treatment for my hair.

CV-Third treatment

Got this from my hairdresser and I think it's about $50 for a container. Halfway through I actually switched to argon oil but ever since finding out the ones from Primark does more damage than good, I switched back to this. 

This works great in taming my frizzy hair (less so now than when I was 15) and it's also acts as a leave-on conditioner - smoothening my rough ends. :') I apply a very small amount, maybe the size of a 10-cent coin, to the ends of my hair.

And that's it! Finally done with this pseudo-beauty post.

I cannot stress how important it is for women especially to maintain themselves because it will definitely show in the long run. We shouldn't take for granted our good genes! Start young or start now if you haven't, every step counts. ;-)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murhphy's Law

" Why don't you take a loan? " " Is it worth it? " " I don't know but I know you wanna go. " ---------- Today, the bestf introduced me to one of Murphy's Laws. (I just Googled it and realize he has many laws.) Anyway, the one most relevant to my life right now is the one that states anything that can go wrong, will go wrong  and I guess the bestf had all the reasons to share Murphy's Law with me. The sister and I brought Shelty to see his doctor today. We were half-sure his doctor would suggest surgery so we tried our best to mentally prepare ourselves for the blow. Nothing too unexpected except the cost . Of course, I'd say $2-2.5k for a surgery of that scale is considerably reasonable. After all, Shelty's got dislocated hips (hence the disjoined joints). But, nonetheless, $2-2.5k is something we never imagined. Not before and definitely not now with all the debts we've to pay off. We had a long day. Both the ...

JULY'15 LOOTS OF THE MONTH

There's a fridge magnet on my refrigerator that very aptly describes me when it comes to my shopping. The teeter actually bought it for me when we were in the U.K two years ago and till today, nothing has changed. I have shopped all my life and still have nothing to wear. That's right, that's me. But, to be fair, I actually make it a point to clear my clothes once or twice a year because we do not have enough storage to hold all the clothes my teeter and I have together. Not just clothes, of course. I clear out my bags, shoes and lingerie too. So once again, it is the time of the month to share all the ahem  amazing items I bought. If you're wondering, and if you've been following, I did do a bit of shopping in the U.K. Not much because that wasn't the main objective of our trip but I enjoyed browsing through the racks of clothes at New Look, possibly my favourite brand in the U.K, and Aldo. Shopping in Singapore is still quite the experience for me n...

I remember

It's Sunday night all over again. I can hear slight drizzle against the window panes and I'm watching the lights on the other building go out. People must be heading to bed and I wonder: Do they dread waking up to Monday? Do they hate Monday? Do their bodies feel unusually heavy on Monday mornings? Do they drag their feet into office? It was a surprisingly tough day today. But it reminded me of the conversations I had with Ains. " You're really too nice. That's why people always bully you, " she said. I knew this for a long time but I was thinking of the best way to construe my personality without sounding like a pushover because I'm not. I simply developed a sizable threshold for bullshit over the years. I suppose it is my way of maintaining zen and a passive way to show I'm backing down because I believe there's no reason putting up a fight against anyone who has decided not to give me a real chance even before the argument began. To some, when I...