Skip to main content

forever blessed / forever thankful

I just cannot emphasise how precious my family is to me and how fortunate I am to have them in my life. Truth is we may not always see eye to eye and I may not get to see my extended family often but I still consider them indispensable. :')

Yesterday was an amazing day although it later on got neutralised by some bad news. Point is it started off amazing and I had one ball of a time celebrating my grandfather's 86th birthday!

When we got there, my grandfather's therapist, Melinda, was already there and he was so engaged in conversing with her he barely gave us any attention.


My grandfather is a very animated person and even though he suffers from Alzheimer's dementia, he is definitely still a man of wise words.

Above: he was telling Melinda how he ended up in Singapore (much against his will at that).

Every time he sees me, he assumes I'm still somewhere in Secondary School, which means I stopped ageing for 6 years and counting. Well, he believes he's 70. Anyway, whenever he sees me, he reminds me how important education is in Singapore. "The higher education you get, the more money you will earn in future," says the old man. I sort of figured this just means Singapore's focus on educational qualifications haven't really changed for a long, long time.

I creeped up beside him and flashed my camera in front of him. ;) Yes, I forced him into taking a selfie with me but you'll see he never looks into the camera because he's so fascinated with the flip screen and looking at his reflection in it is more interesting.


Melinda was also asked to take a photo with him. I can tell he genuinely enjoys spending time with her because she not only listens, she keeps the conversation going as well.


Kudos to my grandmother for preparing a feast for the mini party



The full spread looks nothing short of delicious food. At the top left hand corner, you see a huge bowl of chicken curry. That's actually cooked by my helper (who is a fantastic cook by the way). #justsaying

And then we began eating and we finished most of the food (I believe). I ate a lot of cocktail sausages yesterday and I just couldn't stop! I still haven't figured out why but I know I reminded myself how unhealthy they are each time I had one. ):

Of course, cannot exclude the highlight for the day!


Sponsored by my siblings, I bought a blackforest cake from emicakes. Honestly, they aren't any cheaper or more delicious than other bakeries but they do eggless cakes, which is perfect for vegetarians (like my grandfather).


What is a birthday with a birthday wish? ;-) But obviously my grandfather doesn't understand that so he's just chanting his usual prayer and... I guess that suffices.


Not the best photo but the birthday boy gets fed by his wife. :')

And then to end things off, we took a family photo (with everyone present).


~~~~~~~~~~
Disclosing a real family gem:


I believe this was taken in 2000, when I was 7. Oh, how we've all changed/grown. But this picture never grows old. :') Somehow, my idea of family is still the image above just that every one in my generation would eventually get married.

Sometimes we can't deny God's decisions to take certain people away from us and I suppose I've more or less accepted it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murhphy's Law

" Why don't you take a loan? " " Is it worth it? " " I don't know but I know you wanna go. " ---------- Today, the bestf introduced me to one of Murphy's Laws. (I just Googled it and realize he has many laws.) Anyway, the one most relevant to my life right now is the one that states anything that can go wrong, will go wrong  and I guess the bestf had all the reasons to share Murphy's Law with me. The sister and I brought Shelty to see his doctor today. We were half-sure his doctor would suggest surgery so we tried our best to mentally prepare ourselves for the blow. Nothing too unexpected except the cost . Of course, I'd say $2-2.5k for a surgery of that scale is considerably reasonable. After all, Shelty's got dislocated hips (hence the disjoined joints). But, nonetheless, $2-2.5k is something we never imagined. Not before and definitely not now with all the debts we've to pay off. We had a long day. Both the ...

JULY'15 LOOTS OF THE MONTH

There's a fridge magnet on my refrigerator that very aptly describes me when it comes to my shopping. The teeter actually bought it for me when we were in the U.K two years ago and till today, nothing has changed. I have shopped all my life and still have nothing to wear. That's right, that's me. But, to be fair, I actually make it a point to clear my clothes once or twice a year because we do not have enough storage to hold all the clothes my teeter and I have together. Not just clothes, of course. I clear out my bags, shoes and lingerie too. So once again, it is the time of the month to share all the ahem  amazing items I bought. If you're wondering, and if you've been following, I did do a bit of shopping in the U.K. Not much because that wasn't the main objective of our trip but I enjoyed browsing through the racks of clothes at New Look, possibly my favourite brand in the U.K, and Aldo. Shopping in Singapore is still quite the experience for me n...

I remember

It's Sunday night all over again. I can hear slight drizzle against the window panes and I'm watching the lights on the other building go out. People must be heading to bed and I wonder: Do they dread waking up to Monday? Do they hate Monday? Do their bodies feel unusually heavy on Monday mornings? Do they drag their feet into office? It was a surprisingly tough day today. But it reminded me of the conversations I had with Ains. " You're really too nice. That's why people always bully you, " she said. I knew this for a long time but I was thinking of the best way to construe my personality without sounding like a pushover because I'm not. I simply developed a sizable threshold for bullshit over the years. I suppose it is my way of maintaining zen and a passive way to show I'm backing down because I believe there's no reason putting up a fight against anyone who has decided not to give me a real chance even before the argument began. To some, when I...