Skip to main content

Baby Chester

With an extremely heavy heart, I bid Chester goodbye today.

Always remembered, baby Chester

When I first brought Chester home, he was evidently different. He was about 4 weeks' old and unlike most puppies his age, Chester was very calm.

He had no interest in Shelty and was pretty much satisfied wandering around the brother's room. When I let them out, unlike Nova who was chasing after Shelty's tail, Chester took each step with extreme caution and carefully explored every corner.

He was so, so small and gentle. Even though he was afraid, he let me pick him up and he let me comfort him in my arms. As I stroked him, I told him: You're a gem, Chester, you really are. And I hope you know that because you deserve so much more.

I was really sorry when I sent him away - sorry because I couldn't give him a home, sorry because I wish I could've given him more.

When I received news of his condition (right from the initial stages), I didn't think much about it. Not because I didn't care but because I honestly didn't see Chester as a sickly pup, fighting to live another day. Instead, I often imagined him running freely in a huge backyard and playing fetch with his new family. That's how I saw him.

As his condition worsened, and as I learned about the Law of Attraction, I focused all my thoughts on seeing Chester as a handsome, healthy fellow because that's how I wanted him to be.

Of course, there is only so much I can do.

I don't know how his other fosterers felt but I know Chester was a really charming friend. He'd allow me to cuddle him, to carry him for as long as I liked. He'd fall asleep on my lap and I'd ease him when he sometimes jerk awake. He often wheezed in his sleep (a symptom of canine distemper) and I'd pat him lightly, thinking to myself how I'll always be there for him.

My encounter with Chester was short. I had just 2 days with him but I know for sure he left nothing but great memories for me.

I followed his fight against distemper on SOSD's FaceBook page and this little fellow put up one hell of a fight. He was so brave and so strong right till the end.

Thank you to his fosterer who adopted him last night. It is definitely the best gift to Chester who's been searching for a home. Even though it was a short one hour, one hour is pretty much sufficient.

It is sometimes so difficult to say goodbye to someone, anyone who has brought a great deal of happiness to my life.

Chester shared a part of his life with me and I'm very honoured. I believe the day we rescued Nova and Chester was the day their lives would change for the better. And it did.

They were loved and taken care of right till the end. They were not alone on the day they were cremated. Many people walked the path with them and held them close to their hearts, constantly praying for them and I know both Nova and Chester couldn't have asked for more (though we wish we could have given them more).

Bidding Chester a final goodbye as he enters his forever home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murhphy's Law

" Why don't you take a loan? " " Is it worth it? " " I don't know but I know you wanna go. " ---------- Today, the bestf introduced me to one of Murphy's Laws. (I just Googled it and realize he has many laws.) Anyway, the one most relevant to my life right now is the one that states anything that can go wrong, will go wrong  and I guess the bestf had all the reasons to share Murphy's Law with me. The sister and I brought Shelty to see his doctor today. We were half-sure his doctor would suggest surgery so we tried our best to mentally prepare ourselves for the blow. Nothing too unexpected except the cost . Of course, I'd say $2-2.5k for a surgery of that scale is considerably reasonable. After all, Shelty's got dislocated hips (hence the disjoined joints). But, nonetheless, $2-2.5k is something we never imagined. Not before and definitely not now with all the debts we've to pay off. We had a long day. Both the ...

JULY'15 LOOTS OF THE MONTH

There's a fridge magnet on my refrigerator that very aptly describes me when it comes to my shopping. The teeter actually bought it for me when we were in the U.K two years ago and till today, nothing has changed. I have shopped all my life and still have nothing to wear. That's right, that's me. But, to be fair, I actually make it a point to clear my clothes once or twice a year because we do not have enough storage to hold all the clothes my teeter and I have together. Not just clothes, of course. I clear out my bags, shoes and lingerie too. So once again, it is the time of the month to share all the ahem  amazing items I bought. If you're wondering, and if you've been following, I did do a bit of shopping in the U.K. Not much because that wasn't the main objective of our trip but I enjoyed browsing through the racks of clothes at New Look, possibly my favourite brand in the U.K, and Aldo. Shopping in Singapore is still quite the experience for me n...

I remember

It's Sunday night all over again. I can hear slight drizzle against the window panes and I'm watching the lights on the other building go out. People must be heading to bed and I wonder: Do they dread waking up to Monday? Do they hate Monday? Do their bodies feel unusually heavy on Monday mornings? Do they drag their feet into office? It was a surprisingly tough day today. But it reminded me of the conversations I had with Ains. " You're really too nice. That's why people always bully you, " she said. I knew this for a long time but I was thinking of the best way to construe my personality without sounding like a pushover because I'm not. I simply developed a sizable threshold for bullshit over the years. I suppose it is my way of maintaining zen and a passive way to show I'm backing down because I believe there's no reason putting up a fight against anyone who has decided not to give me a real chance even before the argument began. To some, when I...