Skip to main content

SHELTY

Some nights ago, as I was walking home, I suddenly thought about Shelty and how he's not going to be with me forever.

And that made me kind of sad.


That night, I came home and found him on my brother's bed. He was in his shirt, all cuddled up underneath my brother's comforter. I went up to him as quietly as I could but he still woke up in the midst of his sleep and looked at me with his eyes half-open. I almost cried.

I kissed him and whispered: "Thank you, baby, for being part of my life."

I was still about to cry.

I stuffed my head into him and gave him tummy rubs (much against his will I imagine) but I still did it anyway because if I didn't, I felt as if I'd be missing out on something so precious.

A couple of nights ago, we came home from an event and it was almost midnight. I was dead-tired and kept complaining about how I had to work the following morning.

After showering, I heard my brother mention how he didn't have enough space because Shelty takes up a lot of space and my mom told my brother not to let Shelty jump too much because his legs aren't in the best condition.

So I built a little fortress for my baby.


He slept on the mattress throughout the night and I imagine how happy he must be surrounded with all those pillows and a blanket to himself.

Yesterday, I came home from work and found him on the doormat.

I brought his fortress out to the hall and he laid next to me as I typed away at my laptop.


And he fell asleep. :')

I love it when he snuggles up next to me because he's cold or because he likes being near someone and then he unintentionally (or maybe intentionally) falls asleep. He's such a baby when he does that.

Some nights I go to him just before I go to bed and disturb him like this:
A video posted by Smita Wee (@foldedairplanes) on
His reaction is just too irresistible!

No matter how many times he does it, I still can't get enough?!

Now every one knows why I can't wait to come home as soon as I can all the time. How can I not when there's someone waiting for me?


I sometimes picture the day I've to send Shelty off and I pray all the time, praying he'll go painlessly.

May it be because of old age and nothing else. May he have no regrets because we loved with all we can and more. May he go happily knowing he'll always be etched in our memories as our first love, our first four-legged family.

I don't think I'll be able to take it when that day comes but I'm thankful for every day I have with Shelty.

He's such a gem, don't you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murhphy's Law

" Why don't you take a loan? " " Is it worth it? " " I don't know but I know you wanna go. " ---------- Today, the bestf introduced me to one of Murphy's Laws. (I just Googled it and realize he has many laws.) Anyway, the one most relevant to my life right now is the one that states anything that can go wrong, will go wrong  and I guess the bestf had all the reasons to share Murphy's Law with me. The sister and I brought Shelty to see his doctor today. We were half-sure his doctor would suggest surgery so we tried our best to mentally prepare ourselves for the blow. Nothing too unexpected except the cost . Of course, I'd say $2-2.5k for a surgery of that scale is considerably reasonable. After all, Shelty's got dislocated hips (hence the disjoined joints). But, nonetheless, $2-2.5k is something we never imagined. Not before and definitely not now with all the debts we've to pay off. We had a long day. Both the ...

JULY'15 LOOTS OF THE MONTH

There's a fridge magnet on my refrigerator that very aptly describes me when it comes to my shopping. The teeter actually bought it for me when we were in the U.K two years ago and till today, nothing has changed. I have shopped all my life and still have nothing to wear. That's right, that's me. But, to be fair, I actually make it a point to clear my clothes once or twice a year because we do not have enough storage to hold all the clothes my teeter and I have together. Not just clothes, of course. I clear out my bags, shoes and lingerie too. So once again, it is the time of the month to share all the ahem  amazing items I bought. If you're wondering, and if you've been following, I did do a bit of shopping in the U.K. Not much because that wasn't the main objective of our trip but I enjoyed browsing through the racks of clothes at New Look, possibly my favourite brand in the U.K, and Aldo. Shopping in Singapore is still quite the experience for me n...

I remember

It's Sunday night all over again. I can hear slight drizzle against the window panes and I'm watching the lights on the other building go out. People must be heading to bed and I wonder: Do they dread waking up to Monday? Do they hate Monday? Do their bodies feel unusually heavy on Monday mornings? Do they drag their feet into office? It was a surprisingly tough day today. But it reminded me of the conversations I had with Ains. " You're really too nice. That's why people always bully you, " she said. I knew this for a long time but I was thinking of the best way to construe my personality without sounding like a pushover because I'm not. I simply developed a sizable threshold for bullshit over the years. I suppose it is my way of maintaining zen and a passive way to show I'm backing down because I believe there's no reason putting up a fight against anyone who has decided not to give me a real chance even before the argument began. To some, when I...