Skip to main content

Today, I am thankful

Stealing a sticker from Dayre because it is an apt reflection of how I'm feeling right now. 

If you've been following, or if you're a friend of mine, you'd know I've been practicing the Law of Attraction ever since reading about it. (I've also gone on to finish the entire The Secret series by Rhonda Byrne and a couple of other books advocating the same message.) I've probably also mentioned how practicing gratitude has changed my life slowly but surely.

Practicing gratitude is something I try to do as many times in a day, whenever I have time. I could be commuting between home to my next destination and I'd be giving thanks for the smooth ride and readily available public transport. I could be in the shower singing to Beast's latest single and I'd be giving thanks for the clean water system we have. In fact, I can be lying on the floor with Shelty and I'd be giving thanks for the unpolluted air we breathe every day.

I try to find something to be thankful for every day, every hour and as frequent as I can.

~~~~~~~~~~

A couple of days ago, my in-charge asked me if I'd like to take up two relief classes after my class on Sunday and, of course, I agreed.

I'm a self-sufficient university student. While my brother provides me with school allowance every month, I pay for everything on my own. That includes my handphone bill, transport and everything else. I also pay for my own shampoo, skincare products and all the other essentials. Up till last month, I was servicing a loan for my MacBook, which I paid off entirely on my own.

On top of my permanent class, I'd relief extra classes during my free time to earn that extra cash.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. In fact, I enjoy my job as a teacher. I've always thought of teaching as a way to give back to the society and I'm glad I get to do it even before entering the workforce full-time.

A couple of days ago, I fell sick out of the blue. I came down with a fever as soon as I met up with the ol' friend but luckily managed to survive the day without collapsing.

I came home, popped two paracetamol and went to bed real early. My mom was surprised to find me in bed at 10pm but I was almost zombified at that point of time.

I woke up the next day feeling only slightly better but realised that a simple sore throat had evolved into a full-blown flu. Although the fever had subsided, my body continued to ache and I was bed-ridden for most of the time, coughing my lungs out and losing all appetite.

It's been going on for the last three days now but I'm starting to show signs of recovery, thankfully. Apart from the persistent cough blocked nose and ears and body aches, I'm pretty much functional right now.

But my mom came to me last night and suggested I don't work this weekend because my body needs ample rest and I don't want to end up passing the flu bug on to the children, which makes sense but I actually felt disappointed. I knew my mom was right but it just felt like the opportunity to earn money is so near yet so far at the same time.

I was probably disappointed also because I have bills to pay, a shopping list to clear (oops!) and lots of meet-ups scheduled before school officially starts so every cent would make a difference to me.

Just when I was feeling down, Tsiao contacted me and asked me if I had time to work on a couple of assignments! I took up the offer and waited for her email but it never came until today.

She presented me with bigger, better news and offered me a freelance position for about a week and a half right till before school starts. I was overjoyed.

I asked my family for their opinion on going back to the same office where I interned at to write for another magazine because it'd definitely be awkward seeing familiar faces, with whom I've worked with for five months, while writing for another magazine but my sis told me it doesn't matter.
Stealing another sticker from Dayre!

I might have some unpleasant memories in relation to internship but that shouldn't stop me from progressing forward, right?

~~~~~~~~~~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murhphy's Law

" Why don't you take a loan? " " Is it worth it? " " I don't know but I know you wanna go. " ---------- Today, the bestf introduced me to one of Murphy's Laws. (I just Googled it and realize he has many laws.) Anyway, the one most relevant to my life right now is the one that states anything that can go wrong, will go wrong  and I guess the bestf had all the reasons to share Murphy's Law with me. The sister and I brought Shelty to see his doctor today. We were half-sure his doctor would suggest surgery so we tried our best to mentally prepare ourselves for the blow. Nothing too unexpected except the cost . Of course, I'd say $2-2.5k for a surgery of that scale is considerably reasonable. After all, Shelty's got dislocated hips (hence the disjoined joints). But, nonetheless, $2-2.5k is something we never imagined. Not before and definitely not now with all the debts we've to pay off. We had a long day. Both the ...

JULY'15 LOOTS OF THE MONTH

There's a fridge magnet on my refrigerator that very aptly describes me when it comes to my shopping. The teeter actually bought it for me when we were in the U.K two years ago and till today, nothing has changed. I have shopped all my life and still have nothing to wear. That's right, that's me. But, to be fair, I actually make it a point to clear my clothes once or twice a year because we do not have enough storage to hold all the clothes my teeter and I have together. Not just clothes, of course. I clear out my bags, shoes and lingerie too. So once again, it is the time of the month to share all the ahem  amazing items I bought. If you're wondering, and if you've been following, I did do a bit of shopping in the U.K. Not much because that wasn't the main objective of our trip but I enjoyed browsing through the racks of clothes at New Look, possibly my favourite brand in the U.K, and Aldo. Shopping in Singapore is still quite the experience for me n...

I remember

It's Sunday night all over again. I can hear slight drizzle against the window panes and I'm watching the lights on the other building go out. People must be heading to bed and I wonder: Do they dread waking up to Monday? Do they hate Monday? Do their bodies feel unusually heavy on Monday mornings? Do they drag their feet into office? It was a surprisingly tough day today. But it reminded me of the conversations I had with Ains. " You're really too nice. That's why people always bully you, " she said. I knew this for a long time but I was thinking of the best way to construe my personality without sounding like a pushover because I'm not. I simply developed a sizable threshold for bullshit over the years. I suppose it is my way of maintaining zen and a passive way to show I'm backing down because I believe there's no reason putting up a fight against anyone who has decided not to give me a real chance even before the argument began. To some, when I...