Skip to main content

Goodbye

The most painful goodbyes are those that are never said, or never explained.

I am still going to struggle with words for a while, but I think I am finally ready.

Just this morning, we saw my Aunt off to the airport. After two and a half weeks, she will return to her family in Canada.

We’ve done this many times before, but the goodbyes never get easier.

I am cognisant of the fact that goodbyes are particularly hard for me. I have reached a point where I am convinced that goodbyes are never forever — just like my time in this world. I am not the most puritanical person but I want to believe in afterlife. Only then will I eventually, reunite with all the people who left before me, the people I never got to say a proper goodbye to. 

The year has been a confusing one so far.

After 18 years, April will now officially reign as the saddest month for many years ahead.

It will begin with mourning the lost of my paternal grandma. Seven months later but the wake remains pretty much fresh in my memory. That is expected, but I know I will eventually come to accept her passing.

In retrospect, what should have been a regular Sunday escalated into a night I will remember for a long time to come. 

Then I will be reminded of Papa, and how I am confined in the blurred memories of him. He is the permanent absence I may never be able to fully accept but I can live contented with the fact that I was born his daughter. 

I will have some good days, and I will definitely struggle on other days.

Finally, the month will close as I remember my maternal grandpa — the only man I have known and loved in a way like no other. My Apupa, as I have always addressed him, was blessed with a peaceful passing. He slipped away slowly in his sleep, and didn’t even wait for us to arrive before he left. An impatient one, he is. 

It is strange how I remember vividly moments like that — moments I lose the people I love — but can't (for the life of me) recall fond memories as easily. 

It is true that the most painful goodbyes are the ones never said or explained. It is the ones I never got to say to my grandparents, to Papa. It is the ones I will remember most — only because I have rehearsed them over and over again in my mind.

But it is okay.

I am okay. 

In the afterlife, I will get another chance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murhphy's Law

" Why don't you take a loan? " " Is it worth it? " " I don't know but I know you wanna go. " ---------- Today, the bestf introduced me to one of Murphy's Laws. (I just Googled it and realize he has many laws.) Anyway, the one most relevant to my life right now is the one that states anything that can go wrong, will go wrong  and I guess the bestf had all the reasons to share Murphy's Law with me. The sister and I brought Shelty to see his doctor today. We were half-sure his doctor would suggest surgery so we tried our best to mentally prepare ourselves for the blow. Nothing too unexpected except the cost . Of course, I'd say $2-2.5k for a surgery of that scale is considerably reasonable. After all, Shelty's got dislocated hips (hence the disjoined joints). But, nonetheless, $2-2.5k is something we never imagined. Not before and definitely not now with all the debts we've to pay off. We had a long day. Both the ...

JULY'15 LOOTS OF THE MONTH

There's a fridge magnet on my refrigerator that very aptly describes me when it comes to my shopping. The teeter actually bought it for me when we were in the U.K two years ago and till today, nothing has changed. I have shopped all my life and still have nothing to wear. That's right, that's me. But, to be fair, I actually make it a point to clear my clothes once or twice a year because we do not have enough storage to hold all the clothes my teeter and I have together. Not just clothes, of course. I clear out my bags, shoes and lingerie too. So once again, it is the time of the month to share all the ahem  amazing items I bought. If you're wondering, and if you've been following, I did do a bit of shopping in the U.K. Not much because that wasn't the main objective of our trip but I enjoyed browsing through the racks of clothes at New Look, possibly my favourite brand in the U.K, and Aldo. Shopping in Singapore is still quite the experience for me n...

I remember

It's Sunday night all over again. I can hear slight drizzle against the window panes and I'm watching the lights on the other building go out. People must be heading to bed and I wonder: Do they dread waking up to Monday? Do they hate Monday? Do their bodies feel unusually heavy on Monday mornings? Do they drag their feet into office? It was a surprisingly tough day today. But it reminded me of the conversations I had with Ains. " You're really too nice. That's why people always bully you, " she said. I knew this for a long time but I was thinking of the best way to construe my personality without sounding like a pushover because I'm not. I simply developed a sizable threshold for bullshit over the years. I suppose it is my way of maintaining zen and a passive way to show I'm backing down because I believe there's no reason putting up a fight against anyone who has decided not to give me a real chance even before the argument began. To some, when I...