Skip to main content

MONDAY MUSIC MUSINGS I

Kickstarted the month of May with the comeback of my all-time favourite group - BIG BANG.

God knows how long I've waited for the group's comeback, especially when I wasn't fully satisfied with Fantastic Baby. I mean, it was supposed to be a triple title song promotion with Blue and Bad Boy but Fantastic Baby shot through the roof and the other two title songs got lost along the way.

Anyway, two years later and VIPs are beaming with pride and joy at Big Bang's (yet another) evolution.

And I say evolution because it amazes me how they transform their musicality and manage to produce new unique sounds time and time again.

Of the two songs released, Loser and Bae Bae, I much prefer the former.


I loved all the interpretations of the MV I have read so far but my favourite (and I agree with this) interpretation is that the MV might reflect the reality that the members face as celebrities - always having to juggle between the need to maintain a reputation as a public figure but also the natural instinct to lead a life the way they want.

But interpretations aside, I absolutely love the music itself. The tune is addictive - I found myself subconsciously humming the song as I was out! Oh, and can I just say, I love the sound of the cymbals. It's subtle, so subtle that I actually notice it. Moving on, I read the lyrics and I just cannot with the feels - too sad, waaaaaay too sad.



I love the way GD starts off with his rap. The way he twists the end of each sentence adds a fun element before moving on to Tae's soulful voice. Then we have TOP's deep, masculine voice that almost sounds like a tease before Dae takes the baton with his husky, emotional tone. Finally, the song is completed with Seungri at the end.

I love how BB attaches a sexual connotation to the MV, talking about lust and love like no other group. It's cheesy but I love it. I consider them very brave because sex is almost a taboo to openly discuss in a conservative society. (I notice how even we avoid the topic at times.)

BB aside, there's a group that's been ruining my bias list recently and that's no other than the diligent and talented boys of BTS, otherwise known as Bangtan Boys.


I'll be entirely honest and admit this song has been on replay since its release on 29 May.

How can anyone, anyone at all resist this!?

I  love the kind of music I relate to despite the language barrier - I hear the frustrations, the struggle, the heartache and the desperation. This song is perfection.

Of all their comebacks, I love this one the most and I think this would be my favourite BTS for the longest time ever. The members successfully transited the strong, bad boy image to the innocent, teenager lost in love.

Can we also take a moment to admire the choreography?


Simply genius.

Gonna wrap up with one last comeback by the very much underrated HOTSHOT.


I don't yet know all the members but that just means I can appreciate the group as a whole. :-) I also was not a fan since their debut but chanced upon this song on my Instagram feed and fell in love.

It's very westernised but I love how the beat drops and how the members bounce their heads at the beginning. It's got quite an addictive beat, by the way.

I found myself thoroughly enjoying Kid Monster's part the most - it's soft, gentle and everything that contrasts with the heavy sounds otherwise.

Comebacks aside, I am one who enjoys old songs. I still jazz to BSB's Larger Than Life and N'SYNC's Bye Bye Bye. I occasionally blast Britney Spear's Baby One More Time. Some songs are timeless and the one song I've been replaying, apart from the aforementioned, is After School's Because of You.


Flashback to 2009, when members Raina and Nana first joined the group and when auto-tune was pretty much it, After School made a comeback with the song that, till today, remains one of their best songs to me.

The song highlights Raina and Jungah showcasing their vocals (exceptionally smitten with Jungah's husky tune) and Bekah's girlish-boyish rap. And that's exactly what I'm in love with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murhphy's Law

" Why don't you take a loan? " " Is it worth it? " " I don't know but I know you wanna go. " ---------- Today, the bestf introduced me to one of Murphy's Laws. (I just Googled it and realize he has many laws.) Anyway, the one most relevant to my life right now is the one that states anything that can go wrong, will go wrong  and I guess the bestf had all the reasons to share Murphy's Law with me. The sister and I brought Shelty to see his doctor today. We were half-sure his doctor would suggest surgery so we tried our best to mentally prepare ourselves for the blow. Nothing too unexpected except the cost . Of course, I'd say $2-2.5k for a surgery of that scale is considerably reasonable. After all, Shelty's got dislocated hips (hence the disjoined joints). But, nonetheless, $2-2.5k is something we never imagined. Not before and definitely not now with all the debts we've to pay off. We had a long day. Both the ...

JULY'15 LOOTS OF THE MONTH

There's a fridge magnet on my refrigerator that very aptly describes me when it comes to my shopping. The teeter actually bought it for me when we were in the U.K two years ago and till today, nothing has changed. I have shopped all my life and still have nothing to wear. That's right, that's me. But, to be fair, I actually make it a point to clear my clothes once or twice a year because we do not have enough storage to hold all the clothes my teeter and I have together. Not just clothes, of course. I clear out my bags, shoes and lingerie too. So once again, it is the time of the month to share all the ahem  amazing items I bought. If you're wondering, and if you've been following, I did do a bit of shopping in the U.K. Not much because that wasn't the main objective of our trip but I enjoyed browsing through the racks of clothes at New Look, possibly my favourite brand in the U.K, and Aldo. Shopping in Singapore is still quite the experience for me n...